13 February 2010

Valentine: Revisited

In my Philosophy class, I sit directly behind two lesbians who, everyday, share a diet mountain dew. Do you think that’s what this whole holiday is about? So, I’m not gay and I don’t think I’d like diet mountain dew, but I get the point and I hope you do, too. Let’s meet up and give each other flowers, cause that's what it’s all about. Right?

What if we’re wrong? Will anyone notice? Probably not. Valentine’s day is the perfect opportunity for a skeptic to hash out viral verbiage about card companies and Hershey’s getting their jollies, but it’s something that we all want, and that’s the most tragic part about this whole thing. We all just want to be noticed, to be liked, and, in the end, to be loved. It’s a real pity and a serious cry for help.

So, let’s talk about this whole Valentine’s day thing. I mean, let’s really talk about it. Feel free to chime in whenever you see fit. And if you feel like reading on, I already like you even more than when you clicked on this. I don’t know the history of Valentine’s day and I couldn’t tell you one damn thing about Saint Valentine and I don’t really care. I’m not going to get all ridiculous and look that stuff up because it seems pretty irrelevant to a modern day discussion of this red and pink holiday that forces us to reassess our lives in sad little ways.

You may think that you don’t care about Valentine’s day. You may totally avoid those aisles in the stores that are decked out in hearts. Don’t worry, it’s okay, I do it, too. I guess the most depressing thing about Valentine’s day is thinking to the point of almost knowing that you’re gonna have one. Just when that little crush of yours spirals into constant thoughts of a really cool person, a little thing called reality steps out of that obnoxiously realistic room and slaps the hell out of you. And let me tell you something, that shit hurts.

It doesn’t hurt in a normal way, though. It hurts by how much your cheeks start to blush cause you’re so damn embarrassed for ever thinking you even stood a chance. What idiots we all must be, thinking we could make this crapshoot of a day be anything more then, well, crap.

I don’t mean to dog this day. I’m sure that there are at least a few people out there who still feel optimistic about February 14th. Here’s the shocker: I’m one of them. I realize that I sound all dungeons and dragons about it, but I really hope that things turn around, even if it is just once. I don’t think Valentine’s day meant to bring us all down. That poor little guy was trying to lift us up; lift us up with a day solely dedicated to those people in our lives that make us do nothing else but think about them. And how do we repay Valentine’s day? We give each other cheap chocolates. Is that the best we can come up with?

You see, even if you do have a Valentine, you’re still setting yourself up for major disappointment because nobody gets it anymore, and I don’t really know if they ever did. As a direct result of never having a Valentine, I’ve had plenty of time to think about how it should really go down. And I gotta tell ya: I got nothin. I guess that’s the point. Whoever that person is that you think you’ve really got a little somethin goin with is supposed to get it. They’re supposed to get exactly what you’ve always been dreaming of, even if you never dreamed it.

Isn’t that just awful? We’re not mind readers, even though we might like to be.

Re: the person that I wish was my Valentine:
I wouldn’t know what to get you. And that’s the point. You don’t give a gift to someone on Valentine’s day to show them that you love them. Instead, you wake up on the morning of February 14th and your gift is already there. The gift is that you have someone to love.

Well, guys, that’s all I got. For Valentine’s day, I hope you remember this little writing and I hope you got it. Anyway, it’s been real. Thanks for reading. Head on back over to Facebook and let me know how you’re feelin about it, cause I’d really like to know. Sorry it got a little sentimental. I hope it didn’t put you off.

Yours,
katie beth

2 comments:

  1. you're such a talented writer KBB! <3

    Theresa

    ps can't wait to read more :)

    ReplyDelete