19 April 2010

wolf vs. caribou.

Question: do you ever have a song stuck in your head and then, somewhere around the bridge, it turns into another song? Well, if you’re nodding your head “yes,” then I don’t have to tell you how exciting of a thing it truly is. Anyhow, you know I’m real-into that XMU station. I mean, really. I am in complete and total love with those jams, and the other day, I heard a song called “Odessa” by a groovy little group called Caribou.

And I was feeling it, and then I thought WHOA! This is totally “Shewolf!” You know that funky little beat that Shakira did? Well, these two songs are like musical twins. [also, know that I just confidently added Shakira to my little dictionary of words, here on this laptop. Not as exciting as when I confidently added both Barack and Obama, but still pretty exciting nonetheless.]

Okay, I can understand how this post may not interest all, but if you’re looking for something to do, look those songs up and notice the nuances to one another. Which, naturally, now the question arises: which came first? The wolf or the caribou?

Well, some questions are just too cool to be answered, but it was the wolf. So, who really knows if Caribou is giving a musical-nod to the likes of Shakira, but I like to think that’s exactly what’s going on here. Funky little guitar riffs like that don’t go unnoticed, Shakira. I think that if Caribou were here on this blog, they would thank you for bringing it to them.

Alright, let’s go ahead and say it: this post is turning out to be borderline pointless. Really. This is not very important, but I have one more thing to tell you:

You know that song “Solider of Love,” by that great one they call Sade? Well, go give “The Stroke” another listen, the one by Billy S. I am telling you Sade ripped that beat off.

That may be a bit of a stretch, but they’re both great songs. Especially that “Soldier of Love.” That is some of the best shit I’ve heard in years. And I don’t feel guilty about saying shit in this post. I am pretty confident that no one reads these things anyway.

Whoa, now that we’ve talked Billy Squier, [I just added that to the dictionary, too. Gees, I hope I spelled it right] I feel the need to bump “Lonely is the Night.” That’s got to be the best song to play on that gee-tar hero. Wait, I lied. It’s got to be Asia’s classic of “Heat of the Moment.” Speaking of which, that XM Coffee House plays the most boss acoustic version of that song all the time. It is nothing short of magical, people. So much so, it’s now a featured video to the right. Hell yes.

Okay, now I’ve lied twice because the best song to play on Guitar Hero is “Sunshine of Your Love.” Why? Cause it’s just so darn creamy.

Alright, I have to give three speeches tomorrow, so let’s wind this on down. Now go listen-in to Asia and, sweet Lord, turn-it-up-real-loud. Also, rock steady.

Yours and mine,
katie beth