16 April 2010

this place is weird.

Well, friend (I feel like I can call you that, since you’re reading this incredible post), I hope you’ve had a good little time checking out those songs that I told you about in my last post. I sure have. Anyhow, you know I love XM radio, and I have to tell you that I am right now listening to a station called “Watercolors.” It features some of the finest muzak you’ll ever have the total pleasure of listening to. It will undoubtedly put you into a chill and elevator-riding-esque kind of mind state. And that’s a good kind of mind state to be in.

Anyway, this day has been weird. It was one of those days where you’re just kind of in a mind-fog. Meaning: just because you woke up this morning, doesn’t necessarily mean that your brain did. I have felt weird all day, and that weirdness has carried into the night, but I gotta tell you something: I am not the only one. I may have felt weird, and I probably am weird a lot of the time, but there are some people out there in the world that are taking it to a whole new level.

People are weird. And being weird is never a bad thing, but there are different levels of weird. Let me give you a for-instance: there are the people that are weird, but you respect them for doing their own thing, but then there are the people that are weird, but in a truly bizarre way. Like, the man I saw walking a kid in a stroller through downtown Kingsport, at nine o’clock in the pm. Or, that one lady who talks to her hand, while holding it in a phone-like gesture.

And if I’m going to mention those examples, then I have to tell you again about that girl who was holding that strange little animal that sounded like it was oinking at people. And then there’s that one guy who goes around spitting on everything. Plus, there’s that one dude who wakes up in the morning, and apparently, the best he can come up with for his daily plan is doing nothing more than sitting on that bench in front of that bank.

And tonight, while being in downtown k-town for food purposes, I could see into this new place that had the title of something to do with cowboys. Anyway, there were actual cowboys in there. I was impressed, but that didn’t seem weird. In fact, that seemed perfectly normal.

But, hey, it’s not just the characters of this place that sometimes make it weird: I think it’s awfully weird the way those streets finally got paved, but the sidewalk scene remains in-the-pits. A person in my life had an outright fall as a direct result of the carelessness of sidewalk management. I mean really, we should rise-up and get something done about it. That seems like a viable argument and a good enough reason to rally the troops. Maybe not, but it should be addressed.

Anyway, don’t let this post make you think that I don’t hold Kingsport, Tennessee near-and-dear to my heart, cause I really do, especially that downtown region. It’s a pretty alright place to spend some time. And, since we’re talkin downtown k-town, I have to take this opportunity to say one thing: RIP, Kaffe Blue. I miss you like the deserts miss the rains.

Seriously, though I would hands down highly recommend Kingsport, here in east-tennessee. We have a completely boss planetarium, over at Bays Mountain. PLUS: we’re getting ready to open that Olive Garden, people.

Now, I have never eaten at any Olive Garden, but I hear that, when you go, you’re family. And I’m really gonna hold them to it. I’ll expect to make a reservation and not have to say my name. And don’t worry, it will be okay. They’ll know who I am, just by the sound of my voice. Why? Because we’re family. That’s why.

I look forward to it, if I ever even go. Why again? Because I have lived in Kingsport my entire life, and, here in Kingsport, we rep one place and one place only, when it comes to food with noodles. And that place is Giuseppe’s. I’m not sure what their slogan is, because I don’t think they have one, but it’s the sort of place where I wish I really was family. And sometimes, I like to pretend like I am.

Alright, this post has definitely taken a turn for the slightly weird, and rightfully so. Anyhow, in concluding style: this place, as with any place, can get down with some weird, but that’s why I love it so much. In fact, I plan on making a top ten list of all the reasons why I love Kingsport. Yeah, I’m gonna do that, so go ahead and start looking forward to it.

Anyway, K-TOWN 4 LIFE.

Yours,
katie beth giuseppe



PS- raise your hand if you would wear this sweatshirt, cause I’m sure-as-hell raisin’ mine.