28 March 2010

film it, it's historical.

My friends, it has been far too long, and I’ve really missed talking with you. Anyhow, just to set the scene, it is currently 2:43 in the pm, and I was sort of watching a show that was all about the promiscuity of the Egyptians. Don’t worry. It’s on the History Channel, so it’s completely legit. And I find it kind of funny, the way these intelligent-sounding British people are scrutinizing over clues into the intimate-lives of ancient people. It’s pretty weird the way we treat people of those civilizations like everything they did was some huge, thought-out plan to become these great people and pillars of excellence.

We always hold them in the highest of regards and never-ever think that they were just people in a different time. I mean really, they couldn’t have been all that different from the current people kickin’ it here on earth today.

Which got me to thinking about History. And I think I’m going to keep-on capitalizing it. Yes, I think that works out well.

First, I’d like to share with you a story:

There’s this girl and she’s in about three of my classes and I don’t want to sound mean, but I feel like I can be real with you and you’ll know that when I say that she sort of ticks me off, you’ll know that I really mean it. I wouldn’t say it if I didn’t.

Anyhow, she was in my Philosophy class, which is confusing in-and-of-itself, because the class is called, “Values and Society,” but our teacher told us that it’s an ethics course, and then she said it was an ethics course from the viewpoint of Philosophy. So, I call it a Philosophy class, and I think that’s a fair-enough title. And, so far, I’ve learned a lot, and I feel like it’s important stuff to be learning, but it’s a little frustrating because we just sort of get introduced to these incredible minds and then we move onto the next. So, naturally, I take it upon myself to come home and really get to know the people that I’m learning about.

Anyway, the girl I was talking about [and don’t worry, I’m pretty sure she’ll never make her way to the blog. Mainly because she’s not cool enough] well, she says that she’s real-into History. And she often refers to herself as a “History Nerd,” whatever the hell that is.

At any rate, when I heard her say that and then I heard her say that she hated her Philosophy class, I felt a little confused. And I said that “Philosophy is History.” And she said, “not really.”

Let me tell you something, girl-that’s-starting-to-really-wear-on-me, History didn’t kick-off in 1776. And, anyway, she never has her facts straight. When she was talking all about Hitler, she was wrong, but I didn’t correct her too much because I didn’t want to seem like a know-it-all. I think that’s a bad thing for a person to be, but don’t refer to yourself as someone who really knows their shit when you don’t.

Yes, that’s some of the advice of today’s post, and it’s my hope that it’s advice that you’ll heed. Anyhow, I just really felt like sharing that with you. Also, I think she’s dropped the class. That’s okay. She didn’t really add anything to it anyway, other than raising her hand and asking “is this going to be on the test?” Therefore, ruining a perfectly good discussion.


And, she was talking a little smack about the English teacher she has and it was the same one I had. She says he’s incompetent because he doesn’t like her style of writing. He gave me As because I’m boss. Really. I wrote a lot of good stuff in that class. I’ll let you read some of my work sometime.

Well, guys, I hope that doesn’t put me into a bitter light in your mind, because I’m really going to give her the benefit of the doubt, and maybe we’ll become friends. I doubt it. She calls me “sweetie” a lot and it freaks me out. I don’t mind being called that. No, I really don’t, but it’s weird, the way she says it. And it’s weird because she’s really short. For some reason, that makes it weird. And I’m 5.gay4, so that means she’s pretty short. I guess I just feel like I’m being called “sweetie” by a kid.

And I don’t know if she’s older or younger than me. I think we might be the same age, but gees, I feel like I’m light-years ahead of her in age. Really. If that’s how all nineteen year-olds talked and acted, the future of this world would really be screwed. Thankfully, not all of us are like that.

Also, on the great topic of History, it’s important for you and me both to remember that the main reason why History is so cool is because everything that just happened is History.

And even though it’s only been about a week since we last spoke, here on the blog, I feel the need to update you on my current History.

Last weekend, I got to hang out with my cousins, Clayton, Elli, and Ethan. And I really got to hang out with them. And let me tell you something: those kids are pretty-alright. First, we all went to Warriors Path State Park and we immediately took ourselves to that awesome playground they have. Elli and I brought along my deck of cards that I always have with me, for just-in-cases, and headed over to a table to play Speed. And we pretended like we were from different countries and I think people really believed that she was British and that I was from New Zealand. Elli, Ethan, and myself really got to have some fun later on with one of those great balls that they sell at the grocery store and they keep them in those big nets. Anyway, we invented ridiculous amounts of games and we played hardcore. It was great.

Second, I made a 95 on my paper about gay marriage. And I was really proud because I think it’s really important and if it meant that gay marriage was going to legalized, I would honestly lay down in front of a moving train, cause it’s that important. I hope you think so, too.

Unfortunately, a member of my incredible family was in a really awful car accident later in the week. It was the sort of situation where the people who are hired and trained to immediately rush to the scene were shocked that he was even alive. And what’s really incredible is that he didn’t receive hardly any injuries. I know that I often question it all, and I think that’s okay, but stuff like that makes me really think that there’s got to be something bigger going on here. There just has to be.

And, on the lighter side of things, I found my strawberry Chapstick, which had been missing for a little while, and it has taken back its rightful place on my nightstand. Also, I planted, (with the guidance of my mom, who has an eternally green-thumb) some flowers around the tree in the front yard, and they’re starting to really show progress. It’s a pretty neat thing. And I know that you want to hear about Nelson, and he’s still doing really well. Especially now, since we’re starting to get to use the sunroof more and more each day.

And, I have been working diligently with my Academic Work Scholarship. Actually, not hardly. I pretty much sit in front of a computer for a good long while, but it’s okay. It gives me a chance to learn new things about the lives of friends, via Facebook, it forces me to study a little more, and it really gives me great lighting for reading my latest editions of The New Yorker. Which I am really into. I get way too excited when a new one comes in the mail. Especially the poetry. You should really look it up and read some of them. They feature some pretty incredible people like my new literary friend W.S. Merwin. He is beyond any sort of tangible greatness.

Also, I made a new friend, as a direct result. She has the same scholarship and she’s really quite nice. We discuss future career plans, which is cool, because I’m nineteen and she’s somewhere around forty. I really respect that about her.

What’s more, I had a really interesting conversation with my speech teacher and a fellow classmate about the current state of our country. It was nice to hear that not all hope has been lost. I’m glad to know that there are still some people out there who are as fervently optimistic as I am. And I’m not going to get too political here, because I think there’s a family that doesn’t really like me because I did get a little political, which I didn’t mind. I like standing up for the things I support, cause if I didn’t, I would be a phony, and that’s not something I want to be.

Also, I got to meet a really cool dog named wall-e. And then, some time was spent with the equally cool people who get to live with him. I feel safe in saying that a good time was had by all.

And today, I learned that my new Columbia rain jacket was well-worth the trip to Dick’s and well-worth the money. Mainly because it has this really-secret hood that you can zip up so it looks like a collar. Then, like a mighty rain ninja, you can unzip it and you have a hood and, therefore, ultimate protection from the rain.

Last, I just realized how much I say “really” while writing these posts, but I don’t think it’s an overabundance.

Well, guys, those may or may not seem like great or impressive accomplishments in a week’s time, but they sure did mean a lot to me. I hope you’ll take the time to assess what’s happened to you in a week. I think you’ll be impressed with your ability to be impressed with big things and little things alike, in your very own History.

I sure do hope that all is well with you and your life. And, as always, I sure do appreciate you taking the time to read what I have to say. It really does mean more than you could imagine.

And also, I am now going to settle-in and learn about the lost city of Atlantis, which, by the way, was first referenced in the works of Plato, a Philosopher. And it’s on the History Channel. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it, cause that's genuine History.


Yours this week and the next and the rest after that,
katie beth