01 March 2010

it’s about to get nostalgic.

whoa! it's the first post of a new month they call March. And, as of the time that this was posted, that blog hit counter has been steadily working hard to reach 279. and my favorite price is $2.79, as a direct result of Flight of the Conchords. I promise that post about Bret and Jemaine will be here soon.

Anyway, you should know that I had full intentions of making this blog about things that are nostalgic and slightly sentimental. So, that was a good choice of title for this post. However, I usually divert the subject and instead choose to reference things like “that’s what she said.”

Unfortunately, or fortunately (depending on how you feel about acoustic interpretations), I am once again listening-in to The Coffee House on XM…or Sirius.

Aren’t they just one-in-the-same? They should just create a hybrid name of the two, like, Siri-X, or something along those lines. Calling it Sirius-XM radio is starting to get a little obnoxious.

Anyhow, that’s what I’m currently listening to and once again they’re bumping tons of that sentimental stuff. And you know what? I really like the stuff. Right now, it’s a song called “Two of the Lucky Ones” by Pete Droge & Elaine Summers. Feel free to look it up. I’m sure they’d appreciate it.

It’s a great song, but these sorts of tunes put me into a sort of mood that is all kinds of nostalgic and slightly sentimental.

*now playing: “Sing for You” by the wonder that is Tracy Chapman*

And it got me thinking, and I hope you’ll choose to read on, but if you’re not into things that are all kinds of nostalgic and slightly sentimental, that’s alright. But if you are, feel free to read on and know that I will forever love you for doing so, cause it’s about to get real up in this piece:

When I wrote that one post, that one called “doors,” I was in a real trick of a mind state. And I started to really get into this incredible band called Over the Rhine.

And if you do nothing else, take the time to look up some of their lyrics. They will change your life, I promise.

Here’s the one that got me: “You’re my water, you’re my wine / You’re my whiskey from time to time”

And I read it, and then I heard it. It was kind of awful. It was the point where you really want something, and I mean really want it.

And I read over those little poems that I wrote the other day. And I started thinking about how I have never-ever-ever written any sort of poetry. And I got a sick feeling because I realized I had never wanted to before.

Do you think it’s because I had to get that awful feeling of want? I think we both know the answer, friend. I had it bad. And it’s kind of silly, but it’s a kind of silly that I don’t mind, but I don’t think it’s one that I can go back to.

I mean, that’s the thing about having something in your mind seem so clear, but it’s really not. You think that you’re well on your way to having it, but you really weren’t ever even close.

It sucks, but it’s life. And life is pretty obnoxious that way.

I feel like I should stop for a quick second and tell you to look up “Honey Don’t Think” by someone named Grant Lee Buffalo. Awesome name and an awesome song.

Anyway, if you’re still reading this, I have total respect and admiration for your ability to keep with it.

I guess I should be winding up this post, but I don’t really know how to end it.

I mean, I think those poems kind of did the trick. They kind of washed it out of my system. I feel like I can focus again. Or maybe that nagging feeling of wanting something, or a certain someone, has just sort of become common-place, and I’m kind of numb to the whole thing.

As awful as that may seem, I kind of hope that’s what it is.

And I kind of hope that’s how it stays. Cause even though having a little crush on someone makes us feel sort of silly and all ridiculous-and-such, it would be pretty boring without them.

I mean, I’d actually have to pay attention to lectures all of the time.

And, really, that’s one of my favorite places to go: somewhere in my head that is completely different then where I am (like sitting in a boring class) without ever having to leave where I am.

It’s kind of like I star in my own secret show. And let me tell you something, it’s great. I wish you could visit my thoughts like you can visit the movie theater. And I wish you could just hang out for a minute and watch my daydreams. They’re really great.

I hope that it’s the same for you and I hope that, even if you do have a crush that seems completely intangible, it’s still a nice place for you to go.

And it makes for some pretty awesome poetry.

Thanks for sticking it out and reading through my nostalgic and slightly sentimental post. It means the world, wherever you may be.

Yours,
katie beth

this is the best one that I heard while writing this post (over on what is now to be known as Siri-X) and I think it suits this post just-fine. especially that part about the cabin door. and there's something pleasantly jack black-ish about that video up there.


“Over My Head” by Martin Sexton.

(scoll on up and find the video back up there, somewhere. no, to the right. yeah, your right. yep. click it.)









No comments:

Post a Comment