05 January 2012

inspiration & doll parts.

POLLY BECKER
is pretty neat.
One of my Christmas gifts this year came from my mother who bought me a bag full of books on writing. Included in that bag was a copy of the Inspiration Issue of Poets & Writers literary magazine. The article about Polly Becker's artwork was written by Kevin Larimer.


She doesn't need much more than her sketchbook, old photos, and doll parts to create little bits of artwork. She takes the old photos and places them at the head to make a sort of throwback macabre paper doll which eerily captures both whimsy and thoughtfulness. She is Polly Becker and she is pretty neat.


It's the sort of artwork that goes with any type of music. I can enjoy it just the same while listening to anything. It's classical, it's girly pop, it's grungy, it's hip. I believe I have discovered my own personal holy grail of eye candy. And it tastes like pink strawberry peppermints.

Furthermore, if you get a chance to click through the assemblages of Polly Becker, I suggest listening to a shuffle of your tunes, which wouldn't work if you only own the same types of music, but I do believe it brings out the different bits and pieces - shows their personalities.


Polly Becker's clients include:

Absolut

The Atlantic Monthly

The New Yorker

Farrar Strauss & Giroux

GQ

MCA Records

Newsweek

The New York Times Magazine
Reader’s Digest

Rolling Stone
Sony/CBS Records

Time

2X4

Visual Dialog


If someone handed me a Barbie doll right now, I know I would still play with it for a bit. I know I would still urge to fashion dresses out of Kleenexes and ribbons. Polly Becker's work is like a grown-up Barbie doll and I love it.




yours,

katie beth

No comments:

Post a Comment